As monkeypox cases are rising in India, the Serum Institute of India (SII) which manufactured the Covid-19 vaccine, spoke about the possibility of a monkeypox vaccine in India. SII CEO Adar Poonawalla said, "We are talking to Novovax. We really need to see whether there will be a lot of demand or whether in three to four months it fizzles out." Moreover, he ruled out manufacturing from scratch amid time issues.
Courtesy: The Free Press Journal
Serum Institute of India CEO Adar Poonawalla, on May 8, suggested Elon Musk to invest in India for Tesla manufacturing. Tagging the Tesla boss in the tweet, he wrote "do look at investing some of that capital in INDIA for high-quality large-scale manufacturing of @Tesla cars. I assure you this will be the best investment you'll ever make (sic).” Nitik Gadkari had earlier said that Musk was welcome to India.
Courtesy: Hindustan Times
Ahead of the nationwide booster dose COVID-19 vaccination drives, the SII CEO Adar Poonawalla slashed the prices of Covishield from Rs 600 to Rs 225. On April 9, Poonawalla tweeted, "SII has decided to revise the price of COVISHIELD vaccine for private hospitals from Rs.600 to Rs 225 per dose". Notably, the GoI announced a booster dose for the 18+ population at private vaccination centers in India from… read-more
Courtesy: The Times of India
Adar Poonwalla, CEO of the Serum Institute of India (SII) applied for full market authorisation of its COVID-19 vaccine, Covishield, on December 31. "Supplies of Covishield vaccine in India, exceeded 1.25 billion doses. The Government of India now has enough data to allow full market authorisation," tweeted SII CEO. The application has been submitted to the Union Government and MoHFW. Besides, SII's Covishield also export vaccine doses to… read-more
Courtesy: News 18
The Serum Institute of India CEO Adar Poonawalla announced to launch COVID-19 vaccine against children (3+). Addressing an event at SII, on December 14, Poonawalla said, Covavax is an Indian made version of the US-based Novavax. It is currently under trial and is showing excellent results on children. If successful, Covavax will be launched by mid-2022 in India, protecting kids against the COVID-19 virus.
Courtesy: The Siasat Daily
CEO of Serum Institute of India (SII), Adar Poonawalla addressed a virtual conference with Executive Chairperson of Biocon Biologics (BBL) Kiran Mazumdar Shaw to announce their strategic alliance on September 17. Reportedly, SII was looking to scale up its research facilities with BBL. Also, the alliance aims to increase the production of Covishield Vaccines from 160 million doses monthly to 200 million doses from October.
Courtesy: The Indian Express
Serum Institute of India's Covishield vaccine is cleared for a travel pass in eight EU nations- Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Greece, Estonia, Iceland, Ireland, Spain, and Switzerland. Amidst issues of Covishield's travel pass clearance, Adar Poonawalla, CEO of Serum Institute tweeted on June 28, "I have taken this up at the highest levels and hope to resolve this matter soon." In the past, EMA had cleared only four vaccines.
The Drug Controller General of India on June 4 approved the Serum Institute of India's request to manufacture Russian COVID-19 vaccine Sputnik-V. Adar Poonawalla-owned organisation has been granted permission to examine, test and analyse the vaccine in India. SII CEO Poonawalla thanked the Ministry of External Affairs and POTUS Joe Biden for relaxing the restrictions on vaccine manufacture. For the production, SII will join hands with… read-more
Courtesy: Zee Business
Adar Poonawalla on May 17 transferred his entire 5.15% stake in Panacea Biotech to his company Serum Institute of India for Rs 118 crore. In an open market transaction, Poonawalla sold 3.15 million shares of Panacea Biotech at Rs 373.85 each. SII was already holding 4.98% stake in Panacea, hence, this deal stretches the total stake to 10.13%. Panacea has reportedly collaborated with Bharat Biotech for Covaxin production.
Courtesy: The Economic Times
New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern has been placed at the top of the Fortune’s world’s 50 greatest leaders list for successfully tackling COVID-19 in the country. Interestingly, the CEO of Serum Institute of India, Adar Poonawalla, also made it to the list for boosting vaccine production by 90% in India's COVID crisis. Other leaders in the list include Paypal CEO Daniel H Schulman, NBA Rescuers and Jessica Tan among others.